Cold weather is upon us and we all want a good cup of hot chocolate. While we enjoy a movie, a good book, working or simply because we have a sweet tooth. We all like chocolate, but we want to eat healthy. Can it be compatible?
The first thing to do is to choose a good chocolate. And the most important thing we have to know is the percentage of cocoa.
Our recommendation is that the cocoa is equal to or greater than 70%. Most dark chocolates contain some sugar, so make sure to look for dark chocolate without added sugar.
There are also chocolates on the market that have sweeteners. We do not recommend this type of chocolates. They are not actually "healthy". You must accustom your palate to the bitter taste of chocolate and step by step you will get used to it, it will even seem sweet!
For the recipe, we'll use powdered pure cocoa, just make sure it doesn't have any additives nor sugars!
How Good is Cocoa?
Before showing you how to prepare a delicious cup of hot chocolate that in addition to being "healthy" has good sugars and nutrients, we want you to know why you should eat chocolate.
- Cocoa promotes concentration and memory. That means that you can eat an ounce while you study, it will help!
- It is good for your heart. Due to its high content of antioxidants.
- It prevents stress and improves mood.
- It is an excellent source of magnesium.
Well, you fancy having that cup of hot cocoa, don't you? Let's go for that healthy recipe.
Healthy Hot Chocolate (optional Vegan)
- 300 ml Milk (use a vegetable drink alternative to make it Vegan, we recommend Almond milk)
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons of pure cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of oat flakes
- 1 medjoul date (optional) if you want it sweeter.
- A pinch of ground or grated vanilla
Just blend everything very well in a food processor, heat it in a non-stick pan and ENJOY!
You can then add a touch of your favorite toppings or flavors. You can add a little cinnamon, some mint leaves, even some almonds!
Let your imagination run wild and enjoy your favorite hot chocolate!